Monday, 17 February 2014

After Eight Cookies...

The cookie baking adventure continues, but this time I developed the recipe... So proud!

Any hoo, here we go...UK readers, please imagine this description is being read by the M&S food lady...

A whole after eight mint... surrounded by a soft, fudgey, chocolate chip studded cookie... drizzled with white peppermint chocolate... this is not just any cookie... this is whimsycate's After Eight Cookie...

Oh yeah baby, these cookies are goooood, they make my heart happy!


I love After Eights, in fact I love any kind of mint chocolate and when this idea popped in to my head a few months ago and I knew I had to make them.  There have been many attempts before I got it just right, (which made my workmates and brother in law happy), but now I've got them just right so they can make everyone happy...

These are to the cookie world what the brownie is to the cake world. Indulgent and sexy!

Make them for friends and family, or a new (or old) beau and watch their faces as they fall deeply in love with you!  You're welcome!

Notes
Because this is the first recipe I've worked on like this, I felt like i had a lot to say about it, but if you are as impatient as i am, feel free to skip straight ahead to the recipe...

This is based on the crinkle cookie recipe so when the dough has been in the fridge for an hour feel free to ball it up, roll it in icing sugar and drop it on your baking sheet for yummy little crinkle cookies.
Although I'm British, the recipe is in cup measures, because I find it easier to remember this way, if you don't have cups i urge you to go buy some, it's so much easier... or if you must make these right now... I've added the weight in ounces for you.  
The half a cup of melted butter is really half a block for the UK readers and a stick for us readers, (the first time I tried measuring butter using cups resulted in a frustrating mess).
When I say chocolate chips, I actually just use chopped up chocolate blocks... I'm not sure if it makes a difference.
I had trouble baking more than one sheet of cookies at a time, so I just do them in batches, and put the dough back in the fridge between times.
Aaand finally... I really do recommend using After Eights, I tried a few different home brand supermarket versions and they just weren't as good, not only in flavour but in performance too, the minty middle ended up on the outside!


Ingredients
1/2 cup of butter melted
1 cup of soft brown sugar (6oz)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of cocoa powder (2oz)
1 1/3 cups plain flour (7oz)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
3/4 cup mixed white and dark chocolate chips (4.5oz)
A box of after eight mints (you can eat the leftovers!)

For the drizzle
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (3oz)
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp peppermint extract

Method
Makes 15 - In a bowl mix the melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and peppermint until combined then stir in the cocoa powder, flour and mixed chocolate chips, use a sturdy spoon as the resulting mixture is quite tough!
Once everything is stirred in thoroughly, pop in the fridge for an hour or more.

After an hour put the oven on 350F / 180C / gas mark 4 and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.

Get your now hopefully hard cookie dough out of the fridge and shape two teaspoon sized lumps in to flat squares slightly larger than your after eight, place the mint between them and being careful not to crack it, smoosh the dough securely together around the sides.  Place the cookie on the sheet and repeat leaving about 1 inch between the cookies.

Cook for 10-12 minutes until the edges are set and the middle still looks ever so slightly under.  Leave to cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.

When the cookies are completely cool put the oil, peppermint and white chocolate in a bowl and cook in the microwave for 30 second bursts until melted then drizzle over the cookies.

Store in the fridge or a sealed box, for up to a week.

Enjoy!


**************************

I spent my weekend pottering about with my my hubby and my best friend, who drove 3 hours in the pouring rain to come cheer me up, she earned her title!  I'm definitely on the way to OK.

In other news, you may or may not have noticed that I've started to use capital letters in their correct place, I had an odd prejudice against them, but just like my prejudice against gold jewelry, one day it just went away, so now I have both capital letters and a gold wedding ring!

**************************

I hope you've all had a good weekend, please let me know what you think if you try out my cookie recipe...


6 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

SO glad you are on your way!! And YAY for you on these cookies! They look AMAZING I might add! Oh my! I will have to give these a go for sure friend...thank you!! Lovely week to you!!! Nicole xoxo

Lauren Michelle Major said...

Mmm, these look delicious! I would be so proud of coming up with a cookie recipe too! That sounds hard! But it looks absolutely delicious and stunning.

http://howtomakehome.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you're doing better, Cate. The cookies look so delicious. I would love try making them too. Thank you for the recipe!

em said...

Oh wow. I should not have read this post the week I started clean eating again. Cheat meal here i come. They look amazing.

RuBee said...

These sound delicious. I love chocolate and min. I'm supposed to be losing my baby weight but I'd love to make them. X

Lucy said...

You are a star I will definitely be trying these little beauties out thank you for sharing now I can have christmas all year round Lucy x